A brilliant alternative to turkey, goose and lamb on Christmas Day. Or something for Boxing Day, if you've run out of meat by then! The aromas while cooking this ham are sensational; leave the kitchen door open so that everyone can enjoy it.
- Pomegranate juice 150ml
- Pomegranate molasses 200ml
- Light brown sugar 2 tbsp
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Orange 1, zested
- Fennel and cumin seeds 1 tsp each
- Ground cinnamon 1 tsp
- Cooked boneless ham or gammon joint 3.5-4kg, skin removed
- Red onions 2, finely chopped
- Pomegranate seeds 3 x tubs about 110g each, or seeds from 2-3 whole pomegranates
- Tomato ketchup 2 tbsp
- Pomegranate molasses 2 tbsp
- Orange 1⁄2, juiced
Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Mix the pomegranate juice, molasses, sugar, oil, orange zest and spices, and pour over the ham in a roasting tin. Roast for 30-40 minutes, basting once or twice, until hot all the way through and sticky. Mix the relish ingredients together and serve with the ham.